Monday, August 11, 2014

Soul Music Series Painting

Lately I have been asked about my reason for painting on particle board. The commissioned piece below is why. The wood used to create this piece was too large and had to be cut down to about 4' long. Consequently, I had 2 x 3' of leftover wood. I then decided to use it to paint Harriet Tubman.
Soon afterwards my job started to do expansion and remodeling work to their building and was throwing away tons of old particle board. I loaded them up into my van with the help of a few co-workers and friends over the next couple of days. All of the other paintings you see and will see on particle board come from there.
About the Painting
Last year I was asked by Scott the director of the Issachar Center to do a 3' x 4' painting for their Soul Music Series. We decided that it would be on particle board (something more durable than canvas). He came up with a concept. I put it into Photoshop and modified it a bit after a few suggestions.



I primed the board black and then drew a 3 inch grid system to insure that I painted it at a proper scale. I then using acrylic paint build the facial features touching it up layer by layer.

I'm so glad Scott gave me the opportunity to do this. Thanks Scott and Issachar!









No comments:

Post a Comment