Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mahalia Jackson - Women of Courage & Faith Part 3


Mahalia Jackson was a gospel singer from New Orleans, Louisiana who received the first two gold records ever for gospel music. She was also noted for sitting not too far from Martin Luther King Jr. at the march on Washington saying “Tell them about the dream, Martin!” She heard him speak about "His Dream" during a sermon he gave at a Baptist Church sometime prior to the march. King had not planned for it to be a part of his speech but did so in response to her appeal to him from behind. The rest is history.



This is another 2' x 3' black and white painting on particle board. She is also unfinished. However while painting her, I realized that I have gotten faster at painting at this scale. Which is probably why I forgot to take more process photos of her. I will try to video tape the process when I start the next one.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment